Every year, we set goals for SEM at Laurel Mountain. There are several areas we want to continue, some improvement areas and new adventures as well. Below is the list of our 2012-2013 goals. Continuing to develop the whole child....
2012-2013 Schoolwide Enrichment Model Goals
- Math Compacting: Mrs. Levitan will provide math enrichment through compacting in grades 2, 3 and 4.
- Outdoor Learning: The primary goal for Outdoor Learning is to continue to integrate subjects into our outdoor spaces in a way that establishes a repeatable, sustainable model for our district. Already this year, students and parent volunteers built three new beds in the Edible Garden and an Eagle Scout project has provided us with two new outdoor classrooms in the Outdoor Learning Preserve. Additional projects are in the planning stage that will help reinforce outdoor learning a central piece of our learning model.
- Primary Education Thinking Skills (PETS): Mrs. Levitan will continue to teach the PETS lessons in grades 1st, 2nd grade and 3rd grade. This year, she will work on extending the PETS lessons into our 4th grade classrooms.
- LEGO Educational Kits: Students will continue to have an opportunity during the school day to learn with the LEGO Educational Kits. Mrs. Levitan, our Enrichment Coordinator, will teach: the 5th students a workshop with the NXT Mindstorm Kits, the 4th graders a workshop with the LEGO Simple Machine kits, and the 3rd grade students a workshop using LEGO Simple Machine Educational kits. 1st and 2nd grade will continue to work with the WeDo Kits. In kindergarten, the students will have a chance during E-slot and enrichment clusters to explore the LEGO Educational Kits.
- Philanthropy Mentoring Program: Continue to develop and grow our Philanthropy Mentoring Program, with the help of our parents and community members. This program provides a student, teacher and/or class with a Philanthropy Mentor to offer a helping hand through a project that focuses on the giving of one's time, talent or treasure for the sake of another or for the common good.
- Independent Investigative Method (IIM): The Independent Investigative Method of research will continue to be used in all grade levels K-5. We will focus on increasing the level of questioning in the students research questions by focusing on Bloom’s Taxonomy and Kaplan’s Depth and Complexity Model. We will increase the quality of authentic products made by the students to show what they have learned throughout their research.
- Collaboration: Mrs. Levitan will continue to collaborate with teachers in a variety of areas, such as using the Renzulli Learning System, IIM, service learning, enrichment clusters, enrichment slot activities, Philanthropy Mentoring Program, compacting math enrichment, PETS lessons and many others. This allows LME to reach all of our diverse learners.
- Total Talent Portfolio (TTP): We will continue and improve on building and utilizing each child's TTP. Communicate contents with parents during conference and throughout the year.
- Renzulli Learning System (RLS): Teachers and students will continue to utilize the Renzulli Learning System within the classroom by creating projects and assignments completed by students. We will increase our student and teacher usage from last year.
- Service Learning: We will continue to make Service Learning a focus within our classrooms, enrichment clusters and E-slot activities.
- Enrichment Clusters: In grades K-5, students will continue to participate in Enrichment Clusters for 6-8 weeks. We will continue to offer a wide variety of topics based on student’s interests. We will work towards more student driven clusters guaranteeing that each enrichment cluster round is different since the students participating are different. Furthermore, we will work on developing more student driven authentic products and services by focusing on what would the enrichment cluster look like in the “real world”.
- Enrichment cluster Tours: We will continue our Enrichment Cluster Tours for parents and interested community members. These tours allow our parents to witness enrichment clusters in action.
- Parent and/or community experts: We will continue to utilize parent and/or community experts assist with enrichment, enrichment clusters or Enrichment slots (E-slots) taking place in the classroom.
- Communication: Continue to communicate with parents and community through website, E-news, blog, email and Parent University classes.