- In first grade, I am continuing the Primary Education Thinking Skills (PETS) lessons introducing Isabel the Inventor. She uses deductive thinking and loves to brainstorm. She even has special glasses that help her brainstorm.
- In second grade, I am continuing the PETS lessons where the students are practicing their convergent thinking with Dudley the Detective. He uses clues and is a very logical thinker.
- In third grade, I started a new round of PETS lessons. This time, the students are practicing with Dudley's famous logic elimination grids and deductive thinking, which is a type of convergent thinking. The students are finding and organizing clues, taking time to reflect, putting clues together and finding an answer. We all agree that logic problems are fun!
- Last week, I completed the LEGO lessons on gears with Mr. Hance's 4th grade class. The students built models of gears, learned about gear ratio, gearing up, gearing down, idler gear and compound gears. Then, the students built a leaf sweeper and put their new knowledge of gear systems to practice. The students experimented to find the most effective and efficient leaf sweeper.
- This week in 5th grade, I am working with the Holmstrom Hawks on the NXT Mindstorm Kits. They finished building their "Star Trek Doors" yesterday and we are moving on to the programming piece today. I was excited to show the students two videos from the website "The Futures Channel" about the new rover mission to Mars. This was a great connection between robotics and the real world. Here are the links to the videos:
- This Friday will be the eighth and final meeting of our 4th and 5th grade enrichment clusters. Next Friday, December 9, will be our Enrichment Cluster Showcase from 8:15-9:30. Parents are welcome to come by to and tour the showcase to witness the journey in learning that our 4th and 5th graders have taken over the past eight weeks.
- This afternoon, I am excited to Skype with my new friends from Austin Elementary in Coppell ISD. They have decided to move forward with implementing SEM at their school and they asked me to join in on the discussion with their staff.
- Finally, on Friday I will be presenting at the TAGT Conference. I will be participating in the Curriculum Potpourri on using interest surveys to help with student motivation and building community within the classroom and school.
So, a very busy week with lots of great stuff going on. Continuing to develop the whole child....